Jan 15, 2014
From the Global Energy Institute
Energy and natural resources (ENR) companies are challenged by an ever-growing array of threats and opportunities that grow more complex every day.
- Entering more and more remote regions in the world to search for natural resources, often in fragile countries, where the state is weak and the environment is under threat
- Labor relations may be fraught with tension in some parts of the world
- Ever-changing regulatory and compliance pressures
- Financial and production risks
- Public opinion is often hostile to ENR companies
Technology, however, is creating immense opportunities to develop oil and gas fields in previously unconquerable areas.
This worldwide survey of senior executives in the industry found that management of these risks was not advancing as fast as the threats faced, and ENR companies were falling short in a number of important areas.