Jan 16, 2018
From the Global Enterprise Institute
In 2017, venture capital investment in the United States soared past the $83 billion mark.
Highlights from the Venture Pulse Q4 2017 report
- Aided by a strong Q4’17 -- including three $1 billion plus megadeals -- venture capital (VC) investment in the United States soared to $84.24 billion, making 2017 the strongest year of VC investment since the dot-com bubble.
- Total deal value in the U.S. during Q4’17 rose to $23.75 billion, up from $21.24 billion in Q3’17. The number of deals was down from 1997 in Q3’17 to 1778 deals in Q4’17.
- In Q4’17, three U.S.-based companies raised $1 billion plus funding rounds including:
- Ride-hailing company Lyft ($1.5 billion)
- Cancer-screening biotech Grail Technology ($1.2 billion)
- Automotive company Faraday Future ($1 billion)
READ THE LATEST REPORT: Venture Pulse Q4 2017
The Pulse Series
Venture Pulse and The Pulse of Fintech
KPMG’s Pulse Series of quarterly reports analyze the latest global and regional investment trends and insights. Included in the reports are comprehensive analyses on the lifecycle of venture capital investments as well as overall fintech investment across the Americas, Europe, and Asia. Each quarter we share the latest valuations, financing, deal sizes, mergers & acquisitions, exits, corporate investment, and industry trends.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE PULSE SERIES to receive the latest news and information on venture and fintech investment delivered directly to your inbox.
KPMG's Venture Capital practice
KPMG’s Venture Capital (VC) practice offers a range of audit, tax and advisory services tailored to help venture-backed companies navigate each stage of development—from idea through exit. We use our knowledge of the VC ecosystem to help entrepreneurial ventures simplify the complex challenges of creating the technologies of tomorrow in highly competitive industries, while also meeting diverse regulatory, compliance, and financial reporting requirements. Our VC clients collaborate with a global network of KPMG professionals who understand the marketplace challenges facing start-ups and growth companies. Our passion and mindset match the companies we serve: entrepreneurial, hands-on, proactive, visionary, and dedicated.